“A picture is worth a thousand words.” It may be an overused cliché, but it is one print advertisers should live by!
Pictures have power: the power to attract, to persuade and to sell.
But don’t just take our word for it; we have science, history and statistics to back it thanks to visual infographic specialists at Wyzowl:
- Visual communication stretches back thousands of years: think cave paintings, engravings and hieroglyphics.
- People remember 10% of what they hear, 20% of what they read and 80% of what they see
- Visuals are processed 60 000 times faster than text – we can understand what an image means in 13 milliseconds (less than a blink of the eye!)
- 90% of info we intake to our brain is visual
- Colourful visuals are 82% more effective at attracting our attention and helping us remember information
Print advertisers have long seen the value of pictures. Even back in the ‘Olden Days’!
Here’s what the social media experts from Mavsocial dug up from the New York Post in May 1921:
- Pictures help the audience visualise the product and how they would use it
- Illustrations are more attractive than the most striking headline
- They perform the ‘cardinal principles of advertising’ since they attract attention, arouse interest and create desire.
And that was when everything was printed black and white!
All those points are still relevant today and we have the advantage of colour.
Just think; what is the main message/service/product?
Maybe a photo like the above could work for a florist wanting to promote summer flower posies?
Audiences respond to colour, emotion and personal stories. Find that in your product or service and then find a picture to match.
Why not flick through some magazines yourself and see what your eye is drawn to? The colour, the size, the headlines, the story, the pasta that looks perfect for dinner . . . where is that place?
See? They evoke emotion… well hunger, but your ideal customers will remember that image, and more importantly what the business was that used the image in their advertising.
You don’t even need a big budget, an advertising team and a photo shoot to do it.
You might find the perfect image for under $5!
As long as it depicts your message, it can be just as effective.
Another big tick for pictures is that they’re transferable and can be repurposed across all your marketing channels.
They are just as useful and powerful on social media platforms, on websites and in email newsletters.
Here are some other great links to check out some great print advertising to show how photos make your advertising more effective:
Need help finding the perfect pictures for your business collateral or advertising? Our team can help.
Call us on 08 8221 6355 or email email@example.com